Friday, July 29, 2011

Corn!











Today, has been a fun and a crazy busy day! I started my morning by mopping my floors, doing laundry, paying bills and accomplishing a million other things that a keeper at home does. :) I also decided that I needed to work on the corn that was ready and waiting for me in my garden. I went out and picked ear after ear after ear of corn, then sat down in a comfortable lawn chair and began to husk the cobs. I had fun throwing the husks into our firepit. I know why they call it sweet corn - by time I was done husking my hands were so sticky!





My husband loves frozen cream corn and since I had never frozen corn before, my wonderful mother-in-law came over to help me with the process! First we boiled the ears of corn, then we placed the corn cobs into a sink full of cold water to cool down before we started the process of cutting the corn.






My mother-in-law had a wonderful little tool that I had never seen or used before, but I'm totally getting it for next year! It's called a corn cutter and creamer and it looks like this:





You slide the cob across the blades and "ta da" the corn falls into the bowl beneath and you don't have to spend hours using a knife to cut your corn off the cob. You can get them off of Amazon for $7-10 - totally worth the money! :)

After we had all the corn peeled we scooped the corn into freezer bags and placed them in the freezer for a later date.

Here are some pictures from our morning:





No comments:

Post a Comment