Monday, October 31, 2011

Dealing with a side-by-side fridge...


Yes, we have a side-by-side fridge/freezer and yes, it makes things quite complicated when you're shopping 1x a month! I mean how on earth can you fit two gallons of milk, a gallon of water, creamer bottles, 1 gallon of orange juice and other drinks all onto ONE shelf?!
NOTE: It is possible!

I know everyone has different types of refrigerators and each of them come with pros and cons.





French Door Style:




Top Freezer Style:



Side By Side:


Uh, no. My fridge does not look anything like the inside of that one! Mine is jammed packed with food. Yesterday, for Sunday dinner we had ham, peas, hashbrowns (an easy version of mashed potatoes when you are gone all day Saturday and therefore had no time to boil the potatoes and mash them) and chocolate chip cake with applesauce.

A peak into my fridge:


Top shelf: Jars - salsa, extra sauce, apple sauce, mayo, maple syrup, spreadable butter, sour cream, shredded cheese and anything else that doesn't fit in the door.


Middle shelf: All leftovers! A bowl of beets, a bowl of peas, a bowl of hashbrowns and a dish of ham.


Lower shelf: 2 gallons of milk, 1 gallon of filtered water (we're on well water and need to filter our drinking water), a water filter pitcher, 1 gallon of orange juice (actually, I buy the 1/2 gallon jugs of OJ so that I can fit it in the fridge along with all the other drinks - it costs a few pennies more, but to me it's worth it!). I also have a jar of kefir grains in there as well and a plastic container of tomato juice!

Lowest shelf: Eggs, yogurts and whatever else I still needed a place for that would of gone on the top or middle shelves.

Then we have the crispers and they contain cabbage, carrots, bags of salad, apples, fruit, tortilla wraps and other odds and ends.

My side door hosts bottles of ketchup, mustard, bbq sauce, salad dressings, syrup, jams and whatever other little bottles of sauces a person normal cooks with or puts on a sandwich. The "Dairy" section shelf holds all my cream cheese and sliced cheeses.

I must admit that it does take a lot of time to organize everything in order for it all to fit just right in the fridge and sometimes I'll empty the fridge, clean it and reshelf everything to better organize it.

I grew up with a top freezer fridge, but now that I'm so used to using a side-by-side, I think I prefer the "let's see how I can fit this in my fridge" challenge.


What type of fridge do you have and what organizational skill have you put into making everything fit when you get home from a grocery shopping trip?

No comments:

Post a Comment